Friday, July 27, 2012

Spatial Awareness

When teaching Physical Education to Kindergartners, one of the first things you work on is spatial awareness. There are many ways to teach this lesson: hula hoops on the floor to teach boundaries, having students do various exercises from within the hoop, playing red light green light, having students move in and around each other while focusing on not bumping or touching each other. This lesson can be fun, laughter filled, and beneficial for students to know their bodies and how to respect others bodies and others physical space. 

As I have said I have a four year old and a seven month old, and as a parent, spacial boundaries seems...ugh, well, null an void. Although I am not complaining, some days when both kids are clung to me and there is no getting them off without some sort of emotional melt down, I realize it is days like these when the toes are digging into my side and little arms are around my neck while I am trying to pay bills, talk on the phone, or (God forbid) going to the bathroom, that I wish a hula hoop would be around me! 

How do you make your point as a parent that Mommy needs space too when life gets crazy? How do you take time for you, without fully disconnecting? Where is my Staples "Easy" button? Where is my Allstate representative to come put me "IN GOOD HANDS"? 


I laugh just thinking about it because I know there is going to be a day soon, where I am chasing after them wanting one more hug, one more kiss, or one more cuddle on the couch! I just hope that my girls remember Mom and Dad are always here for them. While a little space is socially respectful, in our home distance is not sought, sometimes desired but not required. 


I don't co-sleep, anymore and I do baby wear (using an Ergo baby) though I am not opposed to a stroller. I like my girls with me while also encouraging independent play. I don't, however, feel the need to jump all over and judge Mom's whose opinions differ from mine. I have friends that parent in many different styles and their kids-- in my opinion-- help mine to accept others. 


Both of my girls are different and as an educator I have always felt strongly that teachers need to embrace each students individual learning behaviors and incorporate them in their lessons. So when it comes to my girls, Malia has always been a Mama's girl that has always played well on her own and has a desire to learn by trial an error. Zoey, so far, has been stuck on me since day one. She was sick with colds and allergies since six weeks and well, she is all about her Mama. I can't walk out of the room without her watching me and I can't enter a room without having to hold her. She will play in her swing or on her tummy as long as I am in view. She hates to be alone and has a full melt down if left in a room for a second without her sister or I. Is this normal? Uh I think so, at least normal for Zoey! Hey, since I am not working and I am here to provide all that she desires, eh...why not! I am what my girls need me to be: disciplinarian, shoulder to lean on, napkin to wipe their face on, friend to discover life with, sorcerer to conjure up all kinds of imaginative journeys to go on, chef to make just their favorite meal, teacher of the three R's and Life, an ear to hear all of their triumphs and woes, and I will even be the bad guy if it means protecting them from harm! I am Mom, I finally get what my Mom was trying to do all these years...her job! 



No comments:

Post a Comment